We’ve been having quite the blustery few days in the northeast, and all I’ve wanted is some form of chowder. I’m a big soup fan, and continue in my quest to make delicious tomato-free soups. While I love tomato based soups, I feel like they inevitably all taste the same (minestrone-y). This soup is thick and creamy and chock full of flavor and comfort.
Vegan Mushroom Cauliflower Chowder
Servings – who knows? This yeilded a huge pot of soup, so this can feed a family of 4 for dinner with maybe some leftovers, or you can have a huge pot of soup for a single person for many meals. Soup always gets better after the first day.
– 4 cups of vegetable broth
– 1/2 cup of dairy free milk of your choosing (I used original flavored soy milk)
– 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
– 1 large carrot, finely chopped
– 12 oz frozen corn
– 1 tsp. thyme
– 1 tsp. rosemary
– 3 tblsp. flour
– 2 medium yukon gold potatoes, chopped
– 1 bay leaf
– 2 cups of chopped mushrooms (I used white button mushrooms)
– 1 lb. cauliflower, chopped and steamed
– 1 can butter beans, drained and rinsed
– 1 cup of dairy free milk of your choosing (I used original flavored soy milk)
– salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the 2 cups of chopped mushrooms with a splash of olive oil, until mushrooms are cooked down, and set aside.
- In the bottom of a large soup pot, saute onions and carrot with a splash of olive oil until onions are translucent. Add frozen corn, thyme, and rosemary and saute until well mixed together.
- Add vegetable broth to vegetables and whisk in the flour until mixed thoroughly (no clumps of flour). Stir in soy milk and reduce heat to a high simmer.
- Add potatoes and bay leaf and allow mixture to come to a low rolling boil, stirring often.
- Using a blender or food processor (I used a food processor), blend cream soup base ingredients and add to soup base. Stir together thoroughly and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer soup, stirring often, until potatoes are cooked through. Add mushrooms and let simmer for 2-4 more minutes. Salt and pepper if needed, while in this final simmering.
- Enjoy with salad or crackers!